In September, with the addition of our 9+ foot salvaged pine cupboard, we began Phase 1 of our kitchen remodel. In Phase 1 we plan to accomplish:
- More storage in the form of kitchen cabinets and open shelving
- New paint on the walls
- New paint in the butler’s pantry
- Remove toilet from the butler’s pantry
- Remove door separating the kitchen from the butler’s pantry
- Strip the wooden countertop in the butler’s pantry and possibly strip at least the upper cabinets as well.
- Add a little “work space” in the butler’s pantry (room for a laptop and notepad)
- Create a powder room out of the old laundry room
Phase 2 will most likely take place next winter, and will involve new floors in the kitchen and possibly the removal of a wall, which would completely free up configuration of an island, the stove, fridge, etc.
So, we are mostly done with Step 1. As I mentioned, we brought home a 9 foot tall unit from the Twin Cities in September. But long before that, I had been stowing a cabinet away in our garage that I had found on a Facebook swap site. I don’t think I have a before picture (DARN!) but it was a rusting pine cupboard out of a farmhouse in Iowa. It was painted barn red; perhaps even originally. We stripped and sanded and coated it with poly and wa-laa!
Step 2 is also complete! I have no regrets about painting the trim and beadboard teal.
And now we jump ahead to step 8… powder room! I have been waiting with bated breath for 2 years for this project! This is going to be fun!
PS- here is another preservation-based article I wrote for the paper.