This weekend we made a little more headway on clearing out for the coop. At the bottom of all of the leaves and branches, we found a 5’x7′ cement pad. Not sure what we are going to do about this- probably not ideal for chickens. Busting up all of that concrete just added another dimension to the work we have to do.
And the chickens are coming in 2 weeks!!!! I ordered 4 ameraucanas (blue eggs) and 4 black australorpes (brown eggs). Both breeds are supposed to be very hearty, good egg layers, gentle and friendly.
A trip to the library provided some very applicable reading material for us:
Oh! I also made a VERY exciting (to me) discovery:
I do believe this is a rhubarb plant making an appearance! I have always wanted a rhubarb plant! Things like this make me so happy.